For the cake
- 1 large orange
- 200g almond meal
- 120g polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 free range large eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 225ml Cobram Estate Ultra Premium Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the drizzle
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 orange, juice and zest (or lemon, juice and zest)
- 2 sprigs rosemary and/or thyme
- Place the orange in a pot and completely cover with water. Bring the pot to a boil for 30 minutes then take off the heat and let cool. Once cooled, blitz the orange in a processor until a smooth puree.
- Pre heat the oven to 170C. Oil and line the sides and bottom of a 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the almond meal, polenta, baking powder and ½ tsp of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy, then slowly pour in the Cobram Estate Ultra Premium Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Once the oil is incorporated whisk in the orange puree, then fold in the dry ingredients, combining until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 55 - 65 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin on a wire rack.
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar, juice and zest of an orange and 30ml of water in a pan. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Once dissolved, add the rosemary and thyme. Turn off the heat and infuse for at least 30 mins.
- Once cooled, use a skewer to poke holes into the top of the cake, then pour over the syrup. Allow to settle for 5 mins then slice and serve with some natural yoghurt or crème fraiche.