- 400g piece of beef cheek or other casserole cut
- ½ brown onion
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 250ml red wine
- 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Premiere Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 sprig of thyme or rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp butter
- ½ Tbsp plain flour
- About 60g bacon, cut into small pieces
- 4-8 baby onions
- 12 small mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- The day before you cook the dish, cut the trimmed meat into 4-6 pieces and place in a bowl with the finely sliced onion and shallot and 1 clove of crushed garlic.
- Cover with wine and add 1 Tbsp Cobram Estate Premiere Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the thyme or a 6cm piece of rosemary.
- The following day lift the meat, onion, garlic and shallots from the wine and place on a towel to dry. Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Heat 1 tbsp Cobram Estate Premiere Extra Virgin Olive Oil in an oven-proof pan and brown meat. Add butter, onions, shallots and garlic and stir well. Sprinkle flour over and stir well. Add the wine and stir well, then add the herbs. Cover with a lid and cook in preheated oven at 150°C for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining Cobram Estate Premiere Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a frypan and sauté the piece of bacon for a few minutes. Remove bacon. Add baby onions and brown well. Remove onions. Add mushrooms to pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- After 1 ½ hours of cooking the beef, add bacon, onion and mushrooms to beef and stir well. Return beef to oven and cook until the meat is ready.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.