- 1 cup (125g) rye flour
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¹⁄³ cup (45g) hazelnuts, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- ½ cup (110g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 150ml Cobram Estate Light Flavour Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into large chunks
- Combine flours, baking powder, bicarb, hazelnuts and 1 tsp of the salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk sugars, extra virgin olive oil and 1/3 cup (80ml) water in a large jug until smooth.
- Add sugar mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or until mixture is firm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- Using a trigger ice-cream scoop, scoop balls of dough onto prepared trays.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes or until just golden around the edges. Remove from oven. Place chocolate chunks evenly over cookies. Return trays to the oven for 3 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Sprinkle with remaining salt flakes.
- Cool on trays for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Cookie dough can be made up to 2 weeks ahead; keep in an airtight container in the freezer.
Let’s Eat Vegan, available where all good books are sold and at awwcookbooks.com.au
Photography Luisa Brimble Stylists Olivia Blackmore Kate Brown