- 1kg of Golden Delight potatoes
- Cobram Estate Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For Garlic Aioli
- 3/4 of cup of Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 of cup Cobram Estate Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of salt (and pepper, if desired)
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- Cut potatoes into chip size pieces.
- Put the cut chips into a bowl under running water for 5 minutes to wash the starch off.
- Place 2 litres of cold tap water in a large saucepan and add the potatoes.
- On a medium heat, simmer the chips until the they are almost falling apart around 20–30 minutes,
- Carefully remove the cooked chips and place them on a tray in a single layer to dry out.
- Then place the tray in the freezer for at least 1 hour to remove all the moisture.
- Heat a deep-fryer or a deep pan no more than half filled with Cobram Estate Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to a depth of around 10 cm) to 130ºC. Fry the chips in small batches until a light crust forms (approximately 5 minutes), remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the potatoes on the tray and place back in the freezer for at least 1 hour. (If you don’t want wish to serve immediately, the chips can be kept in the fridge for 3 days.)
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in the deep-fryer or pan to 180ºC and fry the chips until golden (approximately 7 minutes). Drain and sprinkle with salt and serve with Garlic Aioli.
For Garlic Aioli
- Separate the yolk from the egg whites . Reserve the whites for other recipes.
- Combine the egg yolk and mustard in a bowl and whisk together, slowly start to add the Cobram Estate Garlic Infused and Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oils bit by bit.
- Once you’ve blended in a quarter of the oil, you can start to add the rest in larger amounts. When the mixture thickens, add lemon juice and 1 tsp salt.
- You can make mayonnaise in a food processor or by hand, with a mixing bowl and whisk. The key for either method is to add the oil very slowly, in a steady stream, while the processor is running or you’re whisking vigorously.
- To finish off, season to taste with salt, pepper and a bit more lemon juice, if needed.