- 2 large eggplants (1kg)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Cobram Estate Light Flavour Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp ground sumac
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed coarsely
- 12 lamb cutlets (745g), french-trimmed
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved and quartered
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 eschalot (25g), chopped finely
- ½ cup dill, chopped, plus extra sprigs to serve
- Preheat grill plate or barbeque. Prick eggplant all over several times with the tip of a skewer. Cook on grill, turning frequently for 15 minutes, or until completely charred all over. Transfer to a colander placed in a bowl. Cool slightly.
- Cut eggplant in half lengthways and scoop out flesh; transfer to a large bowl, discarding skin. Stir in garlic, lemon rind and juice, and half the extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste.
- Combine sumac, paprika, coriander and the remaining oil in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tbsp of spice mixture. Rub cutlets all over with remaining mixture. Cook cutlets on grill for 6 minutes, turning halfway, until charred and cooked through. Brush with reserved spice mixture.
- Combine tomatoes, chickpeas, eschalot and dill in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- To serve, spoon eggplant onto a serving platter. Top with tomato mixture and lamb. Scatter with extra dill.
Fire Grill Smoke, available where all good books are sold and at awwcookbooks.com.au
Photography James Moffatt Luisa Brimble Stylists Olivia Blackmore