- 2 cups chopped dried date, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup self raising flour
- 160 g butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to 180C, and grease a 22cm square cake tin. Next, place dates and bicarb soda into a bowl and pour over boiling water. Set aside for 20 minutes
2. Beat together sugar and oil until creamy. Add in eggs once at a time, beating well between each one. Fold through the date mixture along with the flour and spice mix. Stir until well combined.
3. Place into prepared cake tin, and bake for 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted through the middle. Set aside.
4. To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in to a small sauce pan over a medium heat. Cook and stir until sauce boils. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Turn cake out on to a plate, and piece all over with a skewer. Pour over ½ of the warm caramel sauce. Stand for 10 minutes before serving with remaining