- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of fine salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200g fresh ricotta
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Extra Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to pan-fry
- Sliced banana and strawberries, to serve
- Maple syrup, to serve
Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt in a large bowl to combine.
- Whisk eggs yolks, ricotta, buttermilk and extra virgin olive oil in a medium bowl until smooth, then add to dry ingredients until just combined.
Put egg whites in a large bowl and beat with electric hand beaters on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add to batter and gently fold until incorporated.
Heat one teaspoon of the extra olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour ½ cup of batter into pan, then gently spread to about 12cm in diameter. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bottom is golden brown and bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for a further 2 minutes or until cooked and golden brown. Set aside on a plate, covered loosely with foil to keep warm.
Repeat with extra oil and remaining batter to make 8 pancakes. Serve pancakes topped with banana and strawberries, then drizzle with maple syrup. Serve.
- For most of us, the first pancake is never pretty. So the mix makes 9, to allow for that first possible dud pancake.
- To make cooking time quicker, cook pancakes in two frying pans at once.