- 3 eggplants
- 180ml Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra
- 3 red onions, peeled, halved and sliced in moons
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed, skins removed
- 2 tsp salt flakes
- 4 red capsicums, cored, deseeded and diced in 3 cm dice
- 6 medium zucchini, cut in 4cm irregular shaped chunks
- 6-8 super ripe tomatoes, large dice
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 2 oranges
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1Tbsp tomato paste
- 2tsp coconut or brown sugar
- 2tsp dried oregano
- salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 340g Gluten Free elbows pasta, cooked
- small handful of parsley leaves
- drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the top
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan-forced or 200°C conventional or barbecue on medium /high
- Prick the eggplant with a knife to avoid it exploding. Lightly oil and sit the eggplants in a baking tray. Roast for 45 minutes then remove from the heat and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut them in half lengthways, scoop out the flesh and roughly chop. Set aside
- In a large baking tray heat 100ml oil on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and 1tsp salt flakes cook for 3-4 minutes to soften. Add the capsicums, tomatoes, zucchini and ½tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and juice, bay leaves, thyme, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, pepper and eggplant. Add another 80ml of oil and gently fold to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, put the lid down and allow to simmer slowly for 45 minutes. The mixture will be quite stiff to start with but the zucchini will become tender let out quite a bit of water as it cooks.
- As the ratatouille is roasting, cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Gently fold the ratatouille through the cooked pasted and serve as a delicious room temp salad. Finish with a scatter of parsley and a drizzle of oil.
Tip: Alternative serving suggestions: eggs, crumbled with feta on toast, alongside lamb or chicken.