- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small turnip, grated
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 green apple, grated
- 2tb parsley, finely chopped
- 500g pork & veal mince
- 1 egg
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 2 tbl Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbl sesame seeds
- Salt & pepper
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pork and veal mince with all the grated vegetables. Mix in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- On a clean work bench, (and working quickly so not to dry out the filo pastry), place one sheet of pastry. Lightly brush or spray a very thin layer of Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Place the 2nd sheet of pastry over the first.
- Divide the pork, veal and veggie mixture into 6 portions, moulding each portion into a long sausage shape. Place one portion of the sausage mix at one end of the filo and roll the pastry over the mixture. Press the ends slightly to close. Place onto the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat until you have made all 6 sausage rolls.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and brush over the finished sausage rolls, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, watching carefully that you do not burn the pastry. You want them to be a nice golden colour without over-cooking, particularly if you want to reheat them to eat at a later date. If need be, turn the tray around to get an even golden colour on all sides of your sausage rolls.
With special thanks to our friend Dr. Joanna McMillan