- 3 medium to large eggplants
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 4 Tbsp Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- About 1kg minced lamb or beef
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 400g can of diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- A little grated nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Cut eggplants into 1 ½ cm thick round slices. Place in a bowl, sprinkle with 2 tbsp salt and allow to stand for about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat half the Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan and stir-fry the onion and garlic on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the meat and brown it on high heat, stirring constantly. Add the tomato paste and the wine and bring to a simmer. Add the diced tomato and the cinnamon, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant slices under the tap and dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat the remaining Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large, non-stick frypan and cook the eggplant slices on each side for a few minutes, then drain.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook on low heat for 3 minutes. Increase the heat, add the milk little by little whisking until the sauce thickens. Lower the heat and cook for 2 more minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.Grease a 30 x 22 cm deep oven dish. Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom and top with half the meat sauce. Add remaining eggplant and meat.
- Whisk the egg and half the parmesan cheese into the white sauce and spread over the meat. Sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan cheese and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and wait 5-10 minutes before slicing.