- 1 cup black rice
- 1 stock cube
- 3 tbs Cobram Estate Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 130g mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Handful of thyme, leaves stripped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- Rinse the black rice until water runs clear and then cook according to packet instructions adding the stock cube to the cooking water (or use 2 cups stock) – varieties differ for cooking times, but usually takes around 30-40 minutes. (I use a grain cooker for ease and makes for perfect rice every time.) You can also cook this ahead of time to make cooking time quicker.
- Once your rice is cooked, heat a large pan over moderate to high heat and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, turning down the heat if need be to avoid burning the onion.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for a few minutes before adding the garlic and thyme. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked black rice and stir to combine. Add the chickpeas, stir to combine, turn down the heat to ensure the bottom doesn’t burn and place a lid on the pan to heat through for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and scatter with the almonds.