- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 500g lean beef, cut into strips
- 1 tb Cobram Estate Classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red onion & 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- Zest & juice of an orange
- ½ tsp dried dill or 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup low fat natural yoghurt
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup brandy (optional)
1. Put the rice in a saucepan along with 2 cups of water and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil over a high heat and then reduce the heat until just simmering. Cook for 10 minutes and then turn off the heat without removing the lid. Let it sit for a further 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork. (If there is any liquid left you can drain in a sieve). (NB do take note of the packet instructions as some brown rice varieties will take longer to cook).
2. Meanwhile in a large non-stick pan dry-fry the meat in small batches for 2 minutes (to prevent it stewing in its own juice). Remove meat and set aside.
3. In the same pan heat the Cobram Estate Classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and fry the onion and garlic until tender. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes. Return the meat to the pan.
4. If using brandy add to the pan and flambé. Then dowse the flames with zest and orange juice. Add the dill, lots of ground black pepper and salt to taste.
5. Turn off the heat before mixing through the yoghurt.
6. Spoon the steamed basmati rice onto plates, top with the stroganoff and serve with a mixed green salad, dressed with a Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil vinaigrette.