- 200g long fresh red chillies
- 2 tablespoon sea salt
- 3 teaspoon caraway seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- 3 garlic cloves
- 150g roasted red bell capsicums, peeled and chopped (can used tinned)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 125ml Cobram Estate Chilli & Coriander Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Free range Chicken
To make the harissa:
- Cut the chillies in half lengthways and remove the top and all seeds. Blend chillies, sea salt, spice seeds and the garlic cloves until smooth.
- Add the capsicums, tomato puree, vinegar, paprika and blend again until very smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and fold in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Taste and season with more salt to balance out the vinegar. Harissa keeps well in the fridge for a good year but be sure to cover it with a some extra virgin olive oil to seal it from the air in a sealable jar.
To cook the chicken:
- Pre heat the oven to 210C.
- Place the chicken onto a roasting tray and pat dry with paper towel.
- Smother the chicken in harissa and let sit for 10 minutes. Reapply more harissa then place into the oven for 35 minutes.
- Turn down to 195C, take the chicken out and baste with the roasting tray juices and extra virgin olive oil and cook for a further 35 minutes.
- Take out of the oven again and baste again then cover with baking paper and cover with foil. Turn the oven down to 160C and cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Check to see if chicken cooked through, then carve and serve.