- 500g good quality spaghettini
- salt for pasta water
- 250g beef mince, finely ground
- 250g pork mince, finely ground
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- few sprigs thyme, picked and chopped
- 100ml milk
- 4 slices of bread, crust removed
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 50ml Cobram Estate Premiere Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and peeper
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50ml Cobram Estate Premiere extra virgin olive oil
- 1.2kg whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper to season
To Make the Meatballs
- In a pan sauté onion, garlic and thyme with olive oil until soft. Cool mixture.
- In a bowl soak bread with milk until soft.
- Combine mince, eggs, breadcrumbs, onion mix, and soaked bread in a large mixing bowl. Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Use your hands to mix until well combined then roll into bite size balls.
To Make the Tomato Sauce
- In a heavy based pot, sauté onion and garlic with olive oil.
- Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer until tomatoes are tender.
- Blend the tomatoes with a bar mix or blender until smooth.
- Add bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Add meatballs one at a time and cook for a further 15 minutes.
To Make the Pasta
- In a large pot of boiling water, add salt and spaghettini and cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta.
- Remove bay leaves from the meatball pot then add the spaghettini and gently stir to coat.
- Distribute among four large pasta bowls and finish each off with a drizzle of Cobram Estate Premiere Extra Virgin Olive Oil and freshly grated parmesan.